School History and Development
Lochside Academy opened to pupils on Thursday 23rd August 2018 following the closure of Kincorth Academy and Torry Academy in July 2018. The school was designed as a modern, stimulating learning environment, making maximum use of the external light and views, as well as supporting internal visibility and interaction. The building is much more appropriate for 21st Century education and it will support a greater degree of openness, interaction, sharing and mobility.
School’s Catchment Area
Lochside Academy services the areas of Cove, Kincorth and Torry with pupils being drawn from the associated primary schools in the catchment area. They are Abbotswell, Charleston, Kirkhill, Loriston, Tullos and Walker Road. Under the ‘Parents Charter’, parents living out with the official catchment area may make application to Aberdeen City for admission of their children to Lochside Academy.
Transport arrangements for such pupils are the responsibility of the parents. Applications for places are processed in accordance with a list of priorities published by Aberdeen City Council and available to all parents seeking to enrol their children. The Education Authority continually reviews school zones and from time to time amendments are made.
School Accommodation and Facilities
Lochside Academy Lochside Academy is a three story building with each wing/floor being colour coordinated to make it make it easier for pupils, staff and visitors to find their way around. The school has been built to a high specification and installed with the latest equipment. This includes:
• Modern Smartboards in each classroom for teaching purposes;
• Two open access computer suites, built on a split level which can accommodate up to 80 pupils;
• A further three open plan rooms and a stand alone classroom equipped with high specification computers;
• Chrome books for pupil use in classrooms;
• Recording Studio;
• Two drama studios;
• Twelve Science laboratories fitted with the most up to date equipment;
• Tutorial rooms for teaching small groups of pupils;
• Breakout areas throughout the school;
• The Library;
• Three Home Economic rooms, two of which are fitted with equipment for cooking;
• Art Studio on the third floor with panoramic views and an external balcony;
• Four Technical rooms fitted with the most up to date equipment;
• An industrial workshop to allow pupils to undertake large construction projects etc..;
• Swimming Pool;
• Fitness Suite;
• Dance Studio;
• Two Sports Halls;
• All weather astroturf pitch;
• Grass pitch; and
• Use of Cove Rangers Football Club astro pitch which is adjacent to the school.